Strong health workforce planning is critical to building a high-performing, sustainable, and resilient healthcare system that can improve health outcomes, enhance responsiveness, and reduce disparities. This course is designed to give you an in depth understanding of the health and care system’s workforce - focusing on policy, data and planning perspectives. It will equip you with knowledge of fundamental policy settings, drivers of supply and demand, and contemporary approaches to workforce planning and development.
The aim of this short course is to give healthcare professionals an in depth understanding of the health and care system’s workforce - focusing on policy, data and planning perspectives. Participants will be equipped with knowledge of fundamental policy settings, drivers of supply and demand, critical data foundations and contemporary approaches to workforce planning.
By completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the health and care workforce as a complex adaptive system with multiple layers of governance and disparate stakeholders performing a wide range of functions to secure and maintain the labour force which underpins health and care service delivery.
- Analyse the causes and effects of the chronic imbalance between labour force supply and demand.
- Assess possible policy, investment and program responses to respond to workforce shortage, maldistribution, and deficiencies.
Understand the range of data and information sources which can be used to describe, quantify, analyse, plan, monitor and evaluate the health and care workforce and the policy and investment decisions necessary to develop and sustain it.
- Understand the range of workforce planning and projection methods, the evidence underpinning them and consider their application at a national, jurisdictional, regional and sectoral level.
Who should enrol
The Health & Care Workforce course provides a unique opportunity for healthcare leaders from across industry to gain an in-depth understanding of contemporary health workforce issues. This course is ideal for:
- Mid-senior level clinicians
- Mid-senior level researchers
- Department heads
- Policy makers
- Healthcare administrators
Participants should have an understanding of Australia’s health and care system from one or more of the following perspectives:
- Public policy or administration
- Health and care service delivery
- Education and training
This course will be delivered in a one-day, face to face session at The Australian National University in Canberra, on 8 December 2023.